White Whale Coffee Roasters - ecoBiz case study
Find out how our ecoBiz Star Partner White Whale Coffee Roasters in Cairns reduced their waste and energy use.
The free ecoBiz program has assessed the waste, water and energy practices in hundreds of businesses in Queensland and developed case studies to help businesses improve their operations and save money through sustainability.
White Whale Coffee Roasters is a specialty coffee roaster, espresso bar and barista school in Cairns. They select ethical and fair-trade coffee from the top growing regions in the world to offer the best coffee to their specialty coffee community.
With “coffee that does good” as a tagline, it is not surprising to find White Whale Coffee Roasters on the ecoBiz Star Partner list. They have best practice initiatives in place to reduce their energy use and waste.
"I was quite nervous about signing up for ecoBiz, because even though we were trying to reduce our footprint, I knew we weren’t perfect. However, everyone was so lovely, supportive and helpful. I found the experience a lot of fun and having someone make further suggestions was very helpful." Ali Slotemaker, Café Owner
KEY INITIATIVES TO REDUCE WASTE
- Customers who bring their own container for small coffee orders get a discount.
- They separate cardboard and coffee grinds which are then collected via a community network for reuse.
- They recycle soft plastic using RedCyclefacilities, and plastic and glass bottles are recycled via Containers for Change.
- They donate plastic tubs to kindergartens and schools for art projects.
- They reuse coffee bean plastic packaging as waste bin liners.
- Coffee bean bags are resold or donated to clean-up initiatives.
- Their single-use coffee cups are made from plants and compostable.
KEY INITIATIVES TO REDUCE ENERGY use
- They have installed a 15kW solar system, an effective investment for a business that operates during the daytime.
- They have purchased an energy-efficient coffee roasting machine.
- They have implemented shutdown procedures to turn off machines overnight.
- A cardboard barrier partially blocks the sun in the afternoon so that drink fridges stay in the shade.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SAVING MONEY THROUGH SUSTAINABILITY?
The ecoBiz Guide to reducing energy, water and waste for restaurants, cafes and bars provides industry-specific insights and resources, including our regional experts' most common recommendations to restaurants, cafes and bars to help them reduce their costs.
ecoBiz is a free program funded by the Queensland Government and run by the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland (CCIQ) that helps Queensland businesses audit their resource use and reduce costs from waste, water, and energy bills. After a free two-hour coaching session with a sustainability expert, businesses receive a written report with practical and tangible solutions, which are often no or low cost to implement.